Sunday, May 2, 2010

I lift my lamp...


If the inscription on the Statue of Liberty reads:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

Why a lamp beside the golden door? Perhaps, in her great freedom, she chooses to overlook the fact that you are arriving in the darkness of night. Perhaps she realizes that her nation has yet to fulfill its destiny; that you might find a door closed elsewhere by a hardened, selfish heart. Or worse yet, an armed border patrol guard. Liberty keeps watch through the night for the humble pilgrim on the journey home.

You certainly can't believe the lamp is so that she can read your documents?

No comments: